Thursday, March 29, 2012

Syria accepts Annan's six-point proposal to end violence

Syria has accepted joint UN- Arab League envoy Kofi Annan's six-point peace proposal to end the violence, a move which the former UN chief described as an "important initial step" to begin an inclusive process of political dialogue in the country hit by deadly protests.

"The Syrian government has written to the Joint Special Envoy Kofi Annan accepting his six point plan, endorsed by the United Nations Security Council," Annan's spokesman Ahmad Fawzi said in a statement.
Annan in turn has written to President Bashar Al-Assad urging the Syrian government to put its commitments into immediate effect.
Annan "views this as an important initial step that could bring an end to the violence and the bloodshed, provide aid to the suffering, and create an environment conducive to a political dialogue that would fulfil the legitimate aspirations of the Syrian people," his spokesman added.
Last week, the UN Security Council had supported Annan's six-point proposal, which he had submitted during his visit to Damascus earlier this month, and had called on both Syria's government and opposition to immediately implement it.
The proposal seeks to stop the violence and the killing, give access to humanitarian agencies, release detainees, and start an inclusive political dialogue to address the legitimate aspirations and concerns of the Syrian people.
Annan has stressed that implementation of the proposal will be key, not only for the Syrian people who are caught in the middle of the crisis, but also for the region and the international community.
"As the Syrian government acts on its commitments, Annan will move urgently to work with all parties to secure implementation of the plan at all levels," the spokesman said
Posted by

No comments:

SATHIYAN UPSETS WORLD NO. 8 AS DABANG SMASHERS T.T.C. TAKE CONTROL OVER  DHFL MAHARASHTRA UNITED JULY 23, 2017 LEAVE A COMMENT ON SATHIY...